Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Modern Day Puritan

While there aren't any Puritans today like there were in the times of the past, a lot of their beliefs still do exist, just in a more modern circumstance. Nowadays, thinking of someone as a Puritan would just be to think of them is having strict beliefs, or, simply, not a fun person. And here's the tie-in: of course, school.

I honestly think school is alright. But yes, we should all agree, it's very strict, even here at Whitney Young. Just Friday, only two minutes into my lunch period, the security guard yelled at me and my friend for being in the hallway. Okay.. Or take for example this guy in my gym class who literally stepped into the classroom a second or two after the bell, and received a tardy.  School can be a fun place, but it's very strict, kind of like a modern day Puritan. After doing some research I learned that Puritans actually allowed alcohol, in moderation. So they allowed enjoyment, but were strict if you abused the privilege. The more you think about it, the more you can see the tie-in to school. 

So, although the Puritans don't really exist today, we can still see some of the ideals they left behind, like everything in moderation. If we become too comfortable with our privileges, we might stop following the rules, which is I think what our school has in mind with it's rules. The Puritans were more strict than today, but I think had roughly the same idea, if that makes sense.

2 comments:

  1. I like your humorous comparison with school and the Puritans. And I agree with you when you stated that modern day puritans may just be people with strict beliefs. Someone with strict beliefs live isolated lifestyles similar to the hardcore puritans of earlier america.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your comparison of the Puritans to school, but why do you think both of these things are so strict? I think it is because they believe they need to be strict, and in some cases I think they do need to be strict. In school you may feel like they are being unreasonably strict, but that is because they are trying to prevent things like people causing problems in the hallway and everyone being late to class. Come on I know everyone has that one teacher who never hands out tardies, but even if you're the best student one day you're just gonna say, oh I can be late because my teacher doesn't care. Im not saying I agree with all these strict rules (yes I have gotten yelled at by the security guard to get out of the hallways, and yes I was mad) but if you think about it, the rules are there because the enforcers believe they need to be there.

    ReplyDelete