I can't say that I celebrate myself, because I don't think I do. Nowadays, when we think about celebrating, we think about parties, fun. No, I don't throw parties for myself... or anything close to that. Maybe it's about being thankful. Sure, I'm thankful for my life and everything I have, but I don't celebrate that. I'm not even sure I would know how.
However, maybe the transcendentalists would see otherwise. They likely had a different view on celebrating yourself. For example, I often take time to myself because I get overwhelmed when I'm always around people. Now, I'm NOT saying I would go desert myself in Alaska to take some alone time, but I'll go read alone in my room or something. Sometimes I'll go for a walk by myself. Maybe the transcendentalists would see this as me celebrating myself, because I'm being individual. Other than this, however, I can't see many ties between myself and the transcendentalists. I only agree with some of their individualism ideas, but not all, because I would definitely miss society if I followed all of their beliefs. Sort of how Chris McCandless begins to feel.
So, my answer to the question is still no. I celebrate the fact that I'm alive, sure, but not everything I do, and that's what I think celebrating myself should mean. While the transcendentalists might think otherwise, that's what I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment