Sunday, May 18, 2014

31/04/08 (Short Story 2)


I was waiting outside of her room in the ICU. Her door opened and a nurse stepping out, pushing a cart of medical tools. I could see the blood on her gloves and I knew they had been operating. I immediately stood up to the nurse, asking if I could see her yet. No, she said, it was still family only. I slumped back into my chair, my head still pounding.

“Let’s go to a party,” she had said to me.
“Okay,” I had said, but she knew there was no need to ask because I would go anywhere with her.
We went to the party, and it was a lot of fun. They were drinking, though, and I hate when they drink.

Minutes were passing and I could hear beeping and crying and all I could think about is if I could have done something. The nurse had said she was going to make it but I’m still worrying about what will happen when she wakes up.

At the party, my friends and I were the only ones who weren’t drinking. I know she was drinking but I didn’t want to tell her not to, because I didn’t want her upset with me. I watched her with her friends from the other side of the room, and I could tell she was far past tipsy.
Then she came up to me, and told me she wanted to go home. I offered to drive her, but she said no, she wanted to drive herself. I told her she couldn’t drive herself when she was under the influence, but she was already walking out of the room, her back to me.

Her parents were here now. They were sitting on the other side of the room, and I could see them watching me and whispering to each other. I wonder what they were thinking. The call must have woken them up. A nurse got up, and let them in to see her. I was jealous.

I chased after her, yelling that she couldn’t drive, but she got into her car, pulled out of the driveway, and swerved down the road. I got into my car, and drove after her. She was swerving dangerously, but luckily the roads were empty.
I followed her for a while, but I didn’t know what I could do. I watched her swerve into the rails and off the highway, smashing into a bridge. The car alarm wailed and I swerved off the road, slamming on the brakes.

I notice a man in all black come into the waiting room, looking rather uncomfortable, but I ignore him. I wonder who he has lost, but I know not to ask. Another family rushes in. There are kids, crying and holding on to their mother. I want to throw up.

I ran towards her car, tears welling up in my eyes, and I couldn’t bear to look. There was blood everywhere. Tears streamed down my face as I called 911.

No comments:

Post a Comment